Run This Year - 2014

Dear Run This Year (2014) community,

This message is for you.  I wanted to reach out to all of you on the first day of 2014 to introduce myself.  While I am not an official member of the RTY team, I will be writing a couple of blog posts over the year focused on the psychology of running, tailored specfically to our RTY community.  I hope that you'll join me over the year in taking advantage of all on online community has to offer.



Although little research has looked specifically at how virtual communities contribute to physical activities, there has been some interesting work looking at the relationship between social factors and exercise.  For example, one study in Australia (Giles-Corti & Donovan, 2002) showed that people who were members of a sports/rec club are 2.5 times as likely to be physically active (30 minutes/day, at least 5 days a week).  In that same study, people were more likely to exercise when a greater number of other people joined in with them (versus exercising alone).  An older review of a wide range of studies found 3 out of 5 studies showed a positive relationship between having a work-out partner and sticking to an exercise regimen (Dishman, Sallis, & Orenstein, 1985).

Importantly, social support has been shown to be more important for sedentary women than regular exercisers (Eyler et al., 1999).  That is, women who exercise for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week are less reliant on social support than those of us who don't quite make it out that many times in a week.

That means, for the majority of us, being a part of a running community is critical to our success.

So in 2014, set your realistic running goals.  And, if you haven't already, sign up to be a part of the RTY community (http://bit.ly/RTYSignUp).  My future posts will take a look at how the sweet rewards they're offering for your running affect your success.  For now, thanks for stopping by.  I look forward to hearing from you!


Also remember - I'm open to requests for topics.  If you have a question about the psychology of running, please let me know! You can comment here or send me an email (psyched2run@gmail.com).

Labels: , ,