Hope Runs

Although this post comes at a time when you might be inclined to think "oh, more new year's resolutions, yay", this post has been developing over several weeks that are actually quite independent of the new year. When I began this blog about 3 weeks ago, I was visiting with my friends Kristen (@KristenL_DYL) and Ryan in California. K & R were the friends that originally got me into running in the first place (Ryan could talk a fish into running).
This is what my face looks like when I'm running!

When I first started running, I hated it.  And I threw up...a LOT.  While I can't say that I don't throw up anymore (I still do, but not as often), I can at least say I've found a new love of running.  Over the past year and a half, I've run three half-marathon relays, two half marathons, and completed my first sprint triathlon.  I've also done a lot of running in between.  

What I love most about running is the way it humbles you:
Because running is such a challenge for me, and I just moved to a new town and have no running buddies, I decided to get connected online.  You can follow me on Twitter (@psyched2run) but mostly I really enjoy reading others' posts (#runchat) and checking out their inspirational blogs (e.g., http://www.runladylike.com/2013/12/27/fitspiring-stories-2013/). I've also decided to join this year's "Run this Year 2014" - an online community and running challenge - where I hope to meet and engage with many more runners.  Check out http://runninghutch.com/runthisyear/ for more info.  

Eventually, my goal is to become a runner that inspires others (in addition to being a college professor that (hopefully) inspires others in her professional life as well).  I want to be a fitness ambassador (for, let's say, Sweat Pink or Girls Gone Sporty).  I want people to want to read my blog :)  I want to be the best version of me that I can be.

Running has inspired me and runners inspire me.  I am more disciplined.  More knowledgable.  I have less stress and anxiety (or at the very least, better ways to deal with them).  I am more open to experience.  In other words,

In 2014, so far, I am registered for the Florida Keys Ragnar Relay and also the Cocoa Beach Sprint Triathlon.  More to come on my progress with training for both of those.  Thanks for reading!




Labels: ,